/* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; }

Thursday, February 24, 2005

A Question For My Readers

As some of you might know, I'm graduating from Penn this semester and have officially started the desperate search for a job with which the real world initiates university students at the end of their undergraduate careers. This being the case, I am facing a somewhat difficult dilemma and would like to request advice from that infinitely profound pool of wisdom that must certainly be my readership.

Basically, my problem is that while in the long-term I am interested in having a career serving others in accordance with my Catholic faith, perhaps in the field of human rights (especially the right to life), peace, or poverty reduction, I don't know whether I should try to work with an avowedly Catholic or pro-life organization as a recent college graduate. In other words, I fear that I will be branded in a particular way if I become involved with such organizations and that this will make it difficult for me to have a greater effect later in my career. For example, I have hopes that in a few years I might be able to attend a top graduate program, perhaps in International Relations, but I am worried that doing that sort of work may make it more difficult for me to get into certain schools. I am not unwilling to stand up for my beliefs, but it sometimes seems to me that it might be a good idea to wait a while before being vocal about them in my professional life. One reason, for example, is that people in general might be more willing to listen to someone with, say, a graduate degree from Yale, than someone who has been working in a pro-life organization all his life. Also, with an impressive and relatively "neutral" resume, I may have greater chances of finding high-level jobs at various sorts of organizations in order to help change them from within. I don't want to spend my whole life preaching to the choir.

So what do you think? What type of job should I get? Do you consider that making it obvious that I am Catholic and pro-life could ruin certain important prospects for the future? Let me know.