/* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; }

Friday, October 08, 2004

An Unusual Storyteller

I was walking towards my room today after barely surviving the attack of an Econ Midterm (vicious creatures, they are), when I heard the voice of a storyteller calling out to me. She offered me a seat, and asked me to pay close attention. I must admit that I was a little startled at first, but her voice was soothing. Tired and sick as I was, I promptly accepted. I sat down and stared at her with curiosity, as she faced the other way. It was then that she began her story.

She told me of a happy time, a time of mirth, and clearly a time of love. Two people were dancing, making beautiful shapes over the earth. The mere rumor of their names brought warmth to the soul.

But as the great ball went on, something happened. Something, no one really knows what, drew the two dancers apart. And so a great search began, sad and desperate, but desperately hopeful. It went on for hours, days, ages. It had a purpose, but it had no end.

Or so it seemed. For in the frenzied sadness of this search, two hands suddenly clasped, and recognized each other all at once. The dance began anew! Only this time it was more glorious and joyous than ever, and continued throughout the night under the watch of the moon.

The storyteller's voice went silent, and only then did I realize that she had used no words at all.

"That was beautiful. Why have I never met you before?" I asked. And she said I was simply not paying attention.

"What is your name then?" I demanded.

"Classical Music," she said.

At this point, the two girls playing the piano and the violin turned around and saw me watching them. Feeling a little awkward, I quickly stepped out of the room.