/* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; }

Saturday, February 26, 2005

A Lesson From a Late Night Chat

Tonight taught me an important lesson, or at least the beginnings of one. It is a lesson that I already knew, but didn't really understand, or that I understood, but just did not truly grasp. Indeed, I guess I still don't, not completely anyway. Whatever the case, for the first time I am really beginning to feel the reality that only works of love can truly change the world. Works of love are what glorify God and fulfill our mission in this world.

Before, I accepted this intellectually, but for the first time I am really grasping this as a fundamental reality. Paul really did get it right when he told the Corinthians that "If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing."

So think, learn, seek the truth, study the Faith, defend it; but whatever you do, love as if your life depended on it, because ultimately, it does. That's the whole point of Christ on the cross. Self-giving, self-sacrifice, Love. Love saved us from death, and love takes us to the land of the living. To merely know a certain truth is no reason to boast; that is, in a way, the least that is expected. Instead, we must let truth transcend knowledge and lead into love, become love and guide love.

Love is the call that we must answer.

Please pray for me, because I really am fearful of lacking the courage to follow.