/* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; }

Monday, November 08, 2004

Just Thought I'd Point It Out...

With all this controversy about embryonic stem cell research, some proponents have begun to saturate the media with their slogan of "LET SCIENTISTS DO SCIENCE." I wonder if any of them has stopped to realize that such a position is no less ridiculous than someone proposing to "LET MILITARY-MEN MAKE MILITARY POLICY."

Both of these ideas are, of course, lunacy. I really don't think I should need to argue this point. I hope you will agree.

Update: Well, it looks like some of you do disagree. In the comments, the notorious Nighthawk Rock said that: "I disagree. 'Let scientists do science' is more equivalent to 'Let military-men do the fighting,' which is perfectly valid."

Allow me to counter-disagree with this idea. If the implication of "Let scientists do science" was to let them conduct experiments as opposed to Theater Arts majors doing so, I would agree. But what the statement really means is "LET SCIENTISTS DO WHAT THEY WANT," give them a free hand to conduct the type of research they think fit, and that is pretty much the same as letting military people decide what military adventures to engage in. Scientific research should be guided both by necessity and morality. Just like before engaging in a military campaign we ideally consider whether the war is just or not, morally contentious scientific research should be preceded by, or prevented through, earnest debate. My point here is not that any particular type of research is immoral (though I certainly have opinions on this topic), but that putting morality out of the picture is, simply put, silly. And that is exactly what people saying that we should "LET SCIENTISTS DO SCIENCE" intend. So once again I say that granting such power to scientists is hardly any less insane than giving a blank-check to military men.

I'm tempted to add that this campaign for unrestricted research may be rather telling of deeper currents beneath the surface. If this type of thought gains momentum, I wouldn't be surprised to see old abuses appearing under new "euphemized" names free from historical stigmas. For the moment, however, I encourage you to think twice about these catchy slogans.