/* Misc ----------------------------------------------- */ .clear { clear:both; display:block; height:1px; margin:0; padding:0; font-size:1px; line-height:1px; }

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Magic Mirror

I rise up to the heights
And look at all below,
Who sink away from all those lights
That in the darkness glow.

The magic mirror stares at me with wistful admiration:
“Oh, what a grateful son is this that comes into our nation!”

“Great knowledge is his shield,
And wit the sword he bears;
And no defeat upon the field,
Will sour his affairs!”

The magic mirror sings to me and stupidly I slumber,
For it is clear that strength like this could never come asunder.

And yet inside the walls
My enemies abound.
They’ve cooked a feast inside my halls
And soiled the holy ground.

The magic mirror speaks to me with its arguments of straw,
But to the foes I’ve sold my will, telling virtue to withdraw.

I look up at the heights
Where recently I tread,
And sink away from all those lights,
And feel my heart go dead.

And now I see that on those heights my face was never sighted,
For crude delusion was the ground on which my feet alighted.

But heights, they do exist!
A quiet voice now tells.
“Begin your journey and persist,
And heed alarms and bells!”

“Forget your strength, it’s worthless here, and lose foolish defenses,
Just faithful weakness, hard as steel, will break your false pretenses.”

So restless now I pray,
For all the fools have died,
That Grace in me will swiftly slay
That folly that is Pride.



Note: I hope that wasn't too painful. It's just something I had to write, though I realize I'm not at all good as a poet. I'm not putting it up because I think it's good; believe me, I have better taste. Rather, I can't think of a better way of improving my writing that putting it up on a public website for heartless people to rip apart. So go ahead, do your worse!